Sunday, February 10, 2013

Why are we here?

First of all, I hate every person who voted for this unit. Just throwin it out there in the universe. Bos, the question you posed was rather existential. Why science? Why fiction? Why merge the two in a lovechild that purges hideous characters and cult fan bases? How do we define the genre that aims to dodge definition traveling at the speed of a nano-ray. A genre that is admirably continuing to push the bounds of our imagination and take us to worlds... or galaxies we could have never imagined. I think what defines the genre is quite literal, story lines, characters, gadgets that intrinsically defy what we can prove with science. Some are a hyperbolic vision into the future to what science COULD bring about, some are surrounding galaxies that don't exist ... as far as science tells us. The genre utilizes fiction in a manner that allows us to believe in the potential science can have while simultaneously being entertained by a fictitious storyline (and if you are lucky a female protagonist with a nice rack).

3 comments:

  1. Like Lily, I am rather unhappy with the chosen unit, but will attempt to learn from it. I have to say that I am rather weary of seeing the sci-fi direction on the subject of female roles, and their portrayal (Alien franchise included), and also hope to find critic in the wide-ranging positivism of the genre. The only thing I can say is that as a technological loser, I am rather impressed by what technology has managed to achieve in this aspect of film, and how special effects make even the least appealing of genres rather entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed sci fi until I actually studied it. Keep an open mind.

    What makes you think the genre aims to dodge definition? I think we're all pretty sure the film Lincoln isn't Sci Fi. So, we know it's got certain qualities.

    Isn't "potential science" the key here? If we don't see the science as plausible, aren't we watching something in a different genre?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea you bring up about science driving the ideas in a science fiction movie and the fiction being the element that allows us to believe the outrageous ideas some of the films produce. Fiction is obviously necessary when making a scifi film because most of the characteristics rely on make believe ideas, but the way you talk about science fiction it makes me realize how much more science really plays a part more than just futuristic technologies.

    ReplyDelete