Monday, February 11, 2013

Logical definition of Sci-Fi

Science fiction has two parts to its definition. I believe the first part is quite simple, that it is fiction. Something about the story, either events or people have to be imaginary. The second part is the Science part, I think that in order for a film to fall under this category it must have something to do with science. (either as an idea or a plot point etc.) There usually could be a scientific discovery or invention, or it could involve technological advances, unearthly concepts/beings/things. Sometimes it can presupposes a technology, or finds a new purpose for current tech. There are so many different things that can cause a film to be considered science fiction, but I think that these are the biggest things, and the biggest signs.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, stanger. I can't give you a grade because you don't give yourself a name in your profile! Please update that so I know who you are.

    Also your entry seems a little short, did you find any definitions in the link I provided that made sense to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that the presence of science or technology is as important as you state. I think that the presence of a difference from our normal society is more important than anything. More important than laser guns or big computers is a fundamental societal difference that we can define, and the story is about observing how the world would be different in these different conditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that Science Fiction does have to do something with science. The scientific aspect of the film is usually the basis of the story in Sci-Fi, and is what makes it Sci-Fi. While I don't think it is the only thing that defines it, it is a very important part of differentiating it from other types of films. In response to Myles, I think that the film being set in a society different from ours is very important as well, I'm not sure it is more important than having a technological aspect. If there were only a societal difference, I feel that would just make it fiction, rather than science fiction.

    ReplyDelete