Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Science Fiction? Science Fiction!

Science fiction is such a broad category that I don't think that any one definition can sum it up.  To me, Science fiction is made-up science incorporated into a story, oftentimes with bits of real proven science mixed up in there.  But I'm sure that someone's going to be all "NOOOOOOOO what about __________" (probably in a really obnoxious voice).  Not-real science can include all types of science, everything from psychology to physics, so it keeps it pretty broad.  For some reason (actually I know why, it's because I'm watching it as I write this) when I try and think of examples, I keep thinking about Fullmetal Alchemist which I never really thought of as science fiction until I had to think about how I define science fiction.  Alchemy would be the "made-up science" because transmutation by drawing circles is not possible (as far as I know) but there are bits of real science in there like how they constantly mention the periodic table, the law of conservation of mass, and the law of natural providence.  Don't take what I'm  saying as a rule though.  I can think of several episodes of the Twilight Zone that I would call science fiction that don't follow that rule.  This is a hard question.  It's the AM now... oops.
P.S. I'm watching the 2009 series not the 2003 series because the 2003 series stunk.  In case anyone cares. I don't expect you to.

3 comments:

  1. Well, someone was up late Monday night! Anyway, with respect to your definition: NOOOOOOO, what about that zombie film that just came out, Cold Bodies, Warm Hearts.

    Alchemy isn't science is it? Aren't we in the realm of magic and deamons? Guess I need to check out this Fullmetal Alchemist thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you, Danielle, (or Daniella- but I'm a rebel) with how sci-fi has some fantastical elements but puts a science-y twist on it. I also agree with how science-fiction can be really broad, but I think, as long as there is some science involved, anything could really be classified as science-fiction, if you make a really good argument for it.

    ReplyDelete