Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sci-fi

 
 
I think the key part of defining science fiction is the science part. When I think of science fiction, I think of fictional science. That's why I didn't really think that Zelig was science fiction. Yes it was fiction, and yes there was science involved in the plot, but the science that was in the film was accurate to the time period. Science fiction, like all other genres, can be combined with other genres like horror or comedy. I think that it's important for there to be an aspect of reality in all films, science fiction especially. This is because if there is no reality the movie become ridiculous, and un-believable, which I guess can sometimes be funny, but that's probably not what the directors were going for.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with most of what you say because we have a similar definition, but I do think that Zelig was science fiction. The film tries to talk about Psychology throughout and seems very realistic in its explanations of his medical disorder. I'm pretty sure they had medical diagrams and things earlier too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think that Zelig was science fiction. All of the psychological methods that they used in the film were up to date with the time. That was part of the reason why they had such difficulty in curing him. Even hypnosis was around years before the movie took place,in 1774.

    ReplyDelete