Monday, February 11, 2013

On Science Fiction

While I've always been a huge fan of the genre science fiction I've never really thought about what defines it. To me science fiction is the future, what could possibly be. Usually that deals with huge technological advances such as laser guns and whatnot. This brings such franchises as Star Wars and Star Trek to mind as these are the most popular. But what really defines the genre? After reading through some of the suggested definitions I've mashed a few together into: a story that uses technology to comment on the position of a group of persons, possibly even the entire human race is what I discern as science fiction.

3 comments:

  1. Be careful with the idea of "future," since Star Wars is set "Long ago, in a galaxy..."

    You post is a little short on details. Clarify "position of a group of persons"--I'm a little lost there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree. The genre is not defined by the technology, they are just a plot device used to create the different world that appears in the film. The appearence and use of the new technologies creates a disconnect between our world and theirs, and we can then more objectively observe it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the idea that science fiction explores "what could possibly be", but like Mr. Boswell, I don't think that means "in the future". It could mean in an alternate reality, (as in, if something in the past had gone differently leading to major changes to present day Earth), in another dimension, or in a different universe altogether.

    ReplyDelete