Monday, April 29, 2013

Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

One of the first things I noticed in moon was the robot-computer (whose name eludes me at the moment) because it reminded me of the one from 2001.  I remembered the commentary that said that the computer in 2001 was "the most human" or something like that, and I thought that this was reflected in Moon as well, when the computer would do things for Sam even if it went against orders.  The facial expression emoticons were a nice touch though.

Most of the setting inside the Moon base looked pretty sleek and modern, but there were elements of it that reminded me of Brazil; specifically those giant truck things that Sam gets hit by and the computer that he finally uses to contact earth.  They had the heavy, industrial look and feel that was very present in Brazil.

Thematically, I thought that it followed the majority of the other movies very well.  Some technology is  invented or changed to make the world better and- surprise - something goes wrong.  I say the majority because I also wanted to say that it took place in the future, but as far as I'm aware Primer didn't so I can't say that for all of the films that we watched.  I noticed the least amount of similarities between this film and Primer out of all of the science fiction films that we watched, which is slightly interesting because I believe they were both independent movies.

The thing that surprised me the the most about Moon is that it actually had a somewhat satisfying ending.  I know that some people are going to disagree with me on this one, but I never actually expected him to make it to earth.  By the sounds of the reports at the end of the movie, he makes it.  Nothing is really solved, but I really thought that he wasn't going to reach his destination, which happens in a lot of science fiction movies (like Brazil).

4 comments:

  1. Glad the movie had at least one good surprise for you.

    I think you forgot about a pretty big connection to Primer, which was multiple versions of yourself and the complications that come of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was one of the most interesting parts of the films for me. It is fascinating to think about my past and future self and the different decisions that I would make based on what whichever 'present' me knows. The characters in these films didn't only have to think about this, but they had to watch it happen and watch themselves make decisions that they may or may not agree with based on what they know now.

      Delete
  2. I like the connection you made with Moon and the industrialized-looking equipment in 2001. It also reminds me of the type of technology we saw in Blade Runner. (I agree with you on the ending- I thought his spacecraft was going to blow up)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you connect the inside of Moon to brazil with its industrial look because I do agree that some aspects seem similar, although i think the most comparable setting is to 2001, where both have interiors that are all white and very modern and geometric looking. I also think the reason it is hard to connect this film with Primer is simply the two settings. Its just weird to compare the movies when the plots are so structured around the settings, and being on different planets this was hard for me to do also.

    ReplyDelete